Our Services


The Law Offices of Mary Teruya will help you in achieving permanent residency in the United States through a family petition or an employment petition. We understand our clients’ desires to settle in the United States and we will help you to achieve this transition in the most efficient and expedite manner.

Marriage Based Green Card

Adjustment of status is the process by which a nonimmigrant, while residing in the United States, may apply for lawful permanent residence (green card) based on a family based immigrant visa petition. A U.S. citizen may petition for his or her spouse to obtain permanent residence if the spouse is residing in the U.S. and has proof of lawful entry. Alternatively, if the spouse of a U.S. citizen is residing abroad, the U.S. citizen may file an I130, and the spouse may apply for an immigrant visa upon the approval of the I130. If the spouse is granted an immigrant visa, he or she will enter the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident.

Immediate Relative Green Card

Includes children under 21 years of age of U.S. citizens, parents of U.S. citizens, and spouses of U.S. citizens. For all these categories of foreign nationals, immigrant visas are not limited in numbers and are available immediately. Therefore, if the foreign national is present in the U.S., he or she may be eligible to file for adjustment of status concurrently with the relative petition.

Preference Category Green Card

Preference categories function by priority date, i.e. the date that the petition for alien relative is filed on behalf of the family member. The Department of State visa bulletin, published on a monthly basis, allocates immigrant visas by priority date and according to each preference category.

Employment Based Green Card

Green cards through employment are divided into five categories:

First Preference EB-1 Priority Workers (no labor certification is required)

Priority workers are divided up into three subcategories:

1) Workers of Extraordinary Ability

Extraordinary ability is demonstrated through achievements that have been publicly recognized in a period of sustained national or international acclaim.

2) Outstanding Professors and Researchers

An applicant qualifies for this category if they have an international reputation in being particularly outstanding in a particular academic field and have three years minimum of either teaching or research experience in that field. Additionally, the applicant must accept a teaching or tenure position at a research university or accept a job conducting research with a research organization or industry.

3) Multinational Executives and Managers

The qualifications for multinationals and executives are similar to L-1 intracompany transfer visas. An applicant may qualify for this category only if a qualified company outside the U.S. employed them as an executive or manager for at least one out of the past three years. The position must be similar and with a United States branch, affiliate or subsidiary of the same company.

The advantage of an EB-1 classification is that no labor certification is required.

Second Preference EB-2

This category is applicable to workers who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or their equivalent and workers who have exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business. Labor Certifications are normally required for this category.

1) Advanced Degree Professionals

An advanced degree professional must hold a graduate level degree, or a professional degree requiring postgraduate education. An applicant can substitute the advanced degree requirement with a bachelor’s degree plus five years of progressively responsible experience.

2) Persons of Exceptional Ability

This subcategory covers applicants in the area of arts, sciences, and business. Although the standard is less than international acclaim the applicant must still be considered significantly more accomplished than the average person in that profession.

Third Preference EB-3(Labor Certification is required)

The EB-3 category is divided into three subcategories:

1) Skilled Workers

To qualify for this subcategory workers must be engaged in occupations that need two years of training or experience. These positions do not normally require a bachelor’s degree.

2) Professionals

Professionals include such occupations as architects, lawyers, physicians, engineers, accountants, therapists, and chemists. The professional subcategory in preference three requires that the applicant have a bachelor’s degree.

3) Unskilled workers

Occupations generally requiring less than two years of experience fall into this category. The applicant must meet the qualifications of the job and the job must not be seasonal or temporary. Applicants categorized as unskilled workers will have to wait much longer than applicants in the other subcategories do, since this category is severely backlogged.

Fourth Preference Religious Workers EB-4

The EB-4 Category encompasses religious workers, and former employees of the United States government and other organizations.